Bò Kho Birria Tacos
- 1lb beef stew meat
- 2 stalks Lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon five spice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise
- 2-3 dried chillies
- 1 can tomato paste
- 4-5 cups beef stock
- Oyster sauce
- Fish sauce
- Soy sauce
- Mozzarella cheese or Oaxaca cheese
- Onions ( white, for taco topping)
- Cilantro (also for taco topping)
- Mince garlic, shallots and 1 stalk of lemongrass (tender center only). Marinate the beef with minced garlic, shallots, lemongrass, 1 tablespoon of oyster sauce, 2 tablespoons of fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of 5 spice. Cover and let it sit for 30 minutes or longer (the longer the better).
- When you’re ready to cook the meat, give it a good browning on all sides, remove the meat then add 1 tablespoon of minced garlic and shallots, ginger slices, 3 star anise, dried chillies and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Sauté, then add the meat back along with 2 cups of beef stock. Then add 1 cinnamon stick, bruise up the other lemongrass stalk and put it in the pot. Bring it to a boil and turn it down to a slow simmer.
- After 1 hour add 2-3 cups beef stock and let it simmer for 30 - 45 mins.
- It should take about 2 hours for the meat to start to fall apart and once it reaches that stage you are ALMOST done lol.
- Dip a tortilla (I’m using corn) into the broth, then place it on a pan, add some shredded Bò kho meat and then mozzarella, some onions and cilantro. Fold it in half (like a taco duh!) Give it a few flips and make multiple because you don’t just eat 1 taco right.
- Squeeze some limes on it and enjoy(:
︎︎︎ CLICK TO DOWNLOAD THE RECIPE